US Vice-President Mike Pence announced that Turkey and United States have agreed to a ceasefire in northern Syria. All military operations will be paused for five days, and the US will help facilitate an “orderly withdrawal” of Kurdish-led troops.
Quoting President Trump’s tweet he said, “Thanks to the strong leadership of President @realdonaldtrump, today the United States and Turkey have agreed to a ceasefire in Syria.”
— Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) October 17, 2019
The initial ceasefire will last 120 hours to allow Kurdish forces to move away from Turkey’s border and allow for negotiations toward a permanent end to the conflict. The announcement came after talks between Mr Pence and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara.
The cross-border offensive came after US President Donald Trump pulled US forces out of the border region. Turkey launched its assault on northeastern Syria last week. Ankara aimed to repel a Kurdish militia that it views as a terrorist group, and resettle Syrian refugees in the area.
President Trump tweeted about the ceasefire before Mr Pence announced it. Mr Trump said in a tweet, “Great news out of Turkey. News Conference shortly with @VP and @SecPompeo. Thank you to @RTErdogan. Millions of lives will be saved!”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 17, 2019