IS Claims Responsibility: Islamic State has claimed responsibility of the deadly terror attack in in the heart of Vienna, calling the shooter a “soldier of the caliphate”. SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors online extremist messaging informed, as quoted in the New York Times on Tuesday.
Islamic State claims responsibility for a deadly attack in Vienna, in a statement issued through its Amaq News Agency along with a picture and video purporting to show the gunman.
Islamic State said in a statement Tuesday that they were responsible for Monday night’s shootings in central Vienna, in which a gunman killed at least four and injured 22 others.
Austria’s Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said the man who opened fire has been identified as a 20-year-old Austrian citizen who had sought to travel to Syria to join the IS.
The shooter was known to be armed with an automatic rifle, a pistol, and a machete and was wearing a fake explosive device.
Four were killed while 22 people were injured in the attack that shook the Austrian capital on Monday.
“The evidence gathered so far showed no indication that others were involved. The attacker, an Austrian who also has citizenship from North Macedonia, was identified as Kujtim Fejzulai by officials and his former lawyer, Nikolaus Rast,” Nehammer was quoted as saying by the New York Times.
Nehammer added that “the suspect had been arrested once before after trying to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State. The man was sentenced to 22 months in prison for that attempt but was released early, raising questions about how someone on the radar of the authorities had managed to carry out such an attack”.
In a televised address, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz told Austrians: “This is not a conflict between Christians and Muslims or between Austrians and migrants. No, this is a fight between the many people who believe in peace and the few [who oppose it]. It is a fight between civilisation and barbarism.”